Jesus has told us that if we believe on Him then we will have true freedom. I believe that He was talking about the total freedom we will have in Heaven, but also the freedom we can have right here on Earth. Have you ever thought about God's freedom and how His laws fit in? Laws and Freedom are usually seen as apposing each other. But the words, “Laws OF Freedom” keep spinning around in my head, so let’s look at this for a minute.
The two great laws of God’s government (Both here on Earth and in Heaven.) are, Love God & Love man. God is all about love, and when He broke down “love” so that we could understand it He ended up with a list of 10 things we need to avoid in order to be free and to know if we are filled with this love. They are laws of love and freedom.
“On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
The devil offers us freedom too, and it's partly true because you can do anything you want as long as you are in his cage. But if you want to have true freedom, if you want to stay out of the devil’s fake-freedom trap, then:
- don’t love any one or any thing more than you love the God who created you.
- don’t make some THING (animate or inanimate, hardware or software, concrete or abstract) into something that you worship.
- don’t use the holy name of your Creator lightly.
- don’t forget about your Creator, and the holy time He set aside for you.( It’s a special day called the Sabbath, the 7th day of the week, and it was specifically blessed by God for the purpose of building a closer relationship between you and your Creator!)
- don’t dishonor your parents.
- don’t murder anyone.
- don’t “sleep around”. Be faithful to that special someone that you promised to care for.
- don’t take something that belongs to someone else.
- don’t say things that are not true.
- don’t even want something that belongs to someone else.
Together these ten laws, these 10 Commandments, tell us how to avoid the traps of the devil who is our enemy and the enemy of God. The problem is that all of us have already broken these laws. We have all sinned and so we have already been trapped by our enemy, the devil. The only way out of this trap is by trusting Jesus, then He will open the door (He will save us) and set us free.
“Jesus replied, ‘I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin ... [but] if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.’”