Solving the Messiah Mystery
WE CAN TRUST PROPHECY (see Is Jesus for Real?)
- Isaiah 42:8, 9 God tells us events before they happen (see also Isaiah 46:9, 10) giving us confidence in the dependability of prophecy.
- 2 Peter 1:21 Prophecy is not given as men speak on their own but by God’s Spirit.
- Amos 3:7 God reveals His secrets to His servants, the prophets.
- Isa. 46:9, 10 Only God can declare the “end from the beginning” and, therefore, accurately tell the future.
- Daniel 2 The rise and fall of Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome were all foretold by the prophet Daniel (compare with Daniel 7 & 8).
- Isaiah 45:1 -3 The Bible foretold that Cyrus would be the person who would capture Babylon over 150 years before he did. It also foretold that Judah would remain in captivity for seventy years, just as it happened (Jeremiah 29:10-12).
- Isaiah 13:19, 20 Isaiah also predicted that after Babylon’s destruction it would never be inhabited again (see also Jeremiah 51:37)
- Ezekiel 26:12 The stones of the city of Tyre would be cast into the sea, a prophecy which was dramatically fulfilled when Alexander the Great threw the remains of the city into the sea to build a bridge so he could attack the island of Tyre.
PROPHECIES ABOUT THE MESSIAH (see over 300 prophecies about Jesus)
- Genesis 3:15 After the Fall, God promised that from the “seed” of Adam and Eve would come someone who would crush Satan and his agencies.
- Deut. 18:15–18 Moses told the Israelite nation that another prophet like him would arise.
- Micah 5:2 The Messiah would be born in Bethlehem (see Matthew 2:1)
- Jeremiah 23:5 The Messiah would be born of David’s lineage (see Revelation 22:16)
- Isaiah 7:14 The Messiah would be born of a virgin (see Matthew 1:18 – 23)
- Jeremiah 31:15 Attempted murder that resulted in the death of many babies (Matthew 2:16-18).
- Zech. 11:12 Sold for thirty coins of silver (see Matthew 26:14 – 16).
- Zech 12:10 Messiah would be pierced and people would mourn (John 19:34).
- Psalm 34:20 No bones broken (compare with the Passover lamb and John 19:31 – 36).
- Hosea 6:2 Raised on the third day (compare Acts 10:38 – 40).
THE TIME PROPHECY OF THE MESSIAH (See the Daniel 8 & 9 Timeline)
- Dan. 9:22-24 70 weeks, or 490 years of the 2300 were "determined" (cut off) for the Jews.
- Dan. 9:25 This verse gives the beginning date for the prophecy as "when the commandment to restore and build Jerusalem goes forth." Ezra 7 & 8 Here the decree by Artaxerxes is recorded. This occurred in 457 BC. So, 70 weeks or 490 years from 457 BC brings us to 34 AD. (remember there is no “0” year) In 34 AD., Steven, the first Christian martyr was stoned by the Jews and the disciples turned from them and began to preach to the Gentiles (see Acts 13:46-50).
- Dan. 9:25 It would be 69 weeks or 483 literal years until the Messiah (Jesus) would come. From our same beginning date, 457 BC, subtract 483 years and that brings us to 27 AD. This is the exact year Jesus announced Himself as the Messiah and was baptized, and anointed with the Holy Spirit (Luke 3:21,22; Acts 10:37,38).
- Dan. 9:27 Jesus would confirm the covenant (with the Jews, Gen.17:2) for one week or seven years. Seven years from 27 AD brings us to 34 AD when the Jews were cut off as God’s covenant people. In the midst or middle of the week (3 1/2 years), He, (Jesus) would cause the sacrifice to end. Three and a half years from 27 AD brings us to the spring of 31 AD when Jesus died. The veil in the temple was torn by God and the sacrificial system was considered by God to be finished.