Below is a partial list of illustrations gleaned from BibleTimeLines.com for teaching Bible principles:
- An illustration of the fact that God uses bad things to make us better can be seen in how gold is purified. A great deal of heat is applied to the gold to melt it and only when the reflection of the person applying the heat can be seen do you know that the gold is pure, that all of the impurities (the "dross") are removed.
One day they went hunting, and along the way a wild animal attacked the king. His slave managed to kill the animal, but could not prevent his majesty from losing a finger.
Furious and without showing his gratitude for being saved, the king asked, “Is God good? If He is so good I would not have been attacked and lost my finger.”
The slave replied, “My king, despite all these things, I can only tell you that God is good, and he knows why these things happened. What God does is perfect. He is never wrong!” Outraged by the response the king ordered the arrest of his slave.
Later the king left for another hunt, this time alone. While hunting he was captured by savages who engaged in human sacrifices.
When they had the king on the altar and ready to sacrifice him the savages discovered that their victim did not have one of his fingers. According to their beliefs only a whole person with all his/her parts intact could be offered to the gods. The king without a finger was deemed an abominable sacrifice for their gods and so they released him.
Upon his return to the palace, the king authorized the release of his slave. He received the slave affectionately. He asked his slave, "My friend, God was really good to me! I was almost killed by the wild men, but because I was missing a single finger I was let go! But I have a question. If God is so good then why did he allow me to put you in jail?"
The slave answered, "My King, if I had gone with you on this hunt I would have been sacrificed instead because I have no missing finger. Remember, everything God does is perfect. He is never wrong. He made you keep me in jail so I would not be with you on the hunt."
Often we complain about life, and negative things that happen to us, forgetting that nothing is random and that everything has a purpose. Every morning, offer your day to God, don't be in a rush. Ask God to inspire your thoughts, guide your actions, and ease your feelings. And do not be afraid. God is never wrong!
- "Faith that works", faith that is alive, can be illustrated by a father and his two children out on a dock. The father jumps in the water and then asks his blind-folded kids if they trust him. Both say that they do, but when he asks them to jump into his arms only one actually jumps while the other refuses to jump, ever. Which one actually has faith and which one does not?
- A simple illustration of how laws are needed can be found in our own highway system. As long as the rules/laws of the road are followed we have freedom to move about as we wish, but if we choose to disobey the rules and drive on the wrong side of the road or fail to stop at a red light, someone will get hurt. These rules/laws actually give us freedom, but without them there would be total chaos.
- Justice, Mercy and Grace
- Mathematical proof of Jesus as Messiah
- What's the difference between the freedom Jesus offers and the freedom the devil offers?
- Resisting God
- Why so many churches?
- Salvation by works?
- Did you know that you are very much like a fiber-optic strand? (more) And what about your church? (more)
- The Gospel in Fiber-Optics! (more)
- How can I share what I know about Jesus? (more)
- How should I love God? (more)
- How should I love people? (more)
- Can you imagine life even better than you can imagine? (more)
- What did sin ever do to God that makes Him hate it so much? Why does He want to get rid of it? (more)
- Is God so "full of Himself" that it makes Him want ALL of the glory and praises, or what" (more)
- Jesus is actually drawing you right now. Don't resist His love!!! (more)
- Your Dad is proud of you, REALLY! (more)
- Only Jesus can give us a NEW heart. (In a Heartbeat)
- Plants and People (Dandelions and Kings)
- The Cockroach and the Fish (more)
- What will it be like to actually walk with Jesus? (Walk to Heaven)